Position: Outcomes Measures Project Associate / Project Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: Feb 16th, 2013
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Western Kenya
Eligibility: Position open to all nationalities; Kenyan nationals strongly encouraged apply
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Outcomes Measures Project Associate/Project Coordinator (PA/PC) for the water, sanitation, hygiene and nutrition (WASH)Benefits Project.
Currently in the second year of a five-year study, WASH Benefits is collecting rigorous evidence on the health and developmental impacts of improved water, sanitation, and hygiene practices, alongside improved nutrition in rural Kenya.
Low-cost technologies and behavior change communications strategies are being implemented to promote drinking water treatment, good sanitation practices, hand washing with soap and nutritional supplementation.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
This position is located in Western Kenya, and the principal investigators are Clair Null and Michael Kremer.
The Outcomes Measures PA/PC will be responsible for coordinating field work related to the projects outcomes measures with an initial emphasis on cognitive development.
The PA/PC will work closely with academic researchers and field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to : sophisticated logistic planning, assisting with project design, designing and editing survey questionnaires, conducting focus groups, training field staff on surveys and measures of child development and maternal cognitive functioning, running pilot exercises, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, financial accounting, HR, and various administrative tasks.
The WASH Benefits project will be spread over a relatively large geographic area, so willingness to travel will be essential.
The PA/PC positions will be based in either Bungoma or Kakamega, Kenya.
Qualifications and Experience: Required:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Psychology, Sociology, Public Health, Social Work, Education or other Social Sciences
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (for working both with personnel and survey families)
- Flexible, self-motivating ,able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Knowledge of STATA or other data analysis software
- Fluency in English
- Experience working on or studying WASH issues in developing countries (particularly sub-Saharan Africa)
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
- Experience managing filed staff
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Experience working with families and young children in some capacity (e.g., household surveys, community organizations, health clinics, etc.)
- Experience assessing the abilities of adults or young children with standardized tests
- Experience with ASQ
We are looking for a commitment period of one to two years for this position, which we expect to start in April 2013.
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “WASH BENEFITS OUTCOME MEASURES PA/ PC.”REF NO: WB-2013-01-03
All applicants will be considered for the position and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Outcomes Measures Associate/Coordinator.
The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
Please direct questions to email@example.com.