Islamic Relief PI Teacher Job in Dadaab Kenya 2013
Islamic Relief is an international NGO, established in 1984 in the UK, seeking to promote sustainable Economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and developmental activities.
We aim to help the needy regardless of Race, Religion, Color and Gender.
Islamic Relief is currently running Programmes in several sectors that include Education, Health & Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Livelihoods Support and Child Welfare. IRK also implements seasonal Food Security Programmes including the Ramadan Food Distribution and Qurbani.
Position: PI Teacher
Duty Station: Dadaab
Overall responsibility to implement and evaluate curriculum in primary school and impart knowledge, skills, develop personality and character that will provide a lasting and inspiring impact on their lives to develop positive attitude.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
1. Curriculum implementation and evaluation
- To prepare all professional records for curriculum implementation
- Develop teaching/learning resources for effective and motivating lessons
- Keep all records and use them to improve performance
- Conduct continuous assessment tests and terminal exams mark and record results.
- Train children in co-curricular activities so as to compete others
- Participate in curriculum review
2. Training teachers on modern trends in special needs education
- Train teachers in new teaching pedagogy that is responsive to current trends in education
- Assist untrained incentive teachers develop basic theoretical and practical knowledge about the teaching profession.
- Train teachers on production of low cost teaching materials
- Facilitate training of teachers in maintenance of equipment
- Participate in workshops and seminars for teachers particularly Saturday TOT.
- Develop in the teacher the ability to communicate effectively.
3. Facilitate Community participation in promoting primary education
- Guide parents to form parents groups for classes of their children
- Train parents of children on basic concepts for upbringing of their children
- Participate in PTA meetings for the schools where they work
- Involve the refugee community through the school PTA to support education
- Encourage the community to give girls equal chance in education through mobilization
- Encourage the school committee to make the school compounds environmentally friendly and barrier free.
4. Managing Classroom resources
- Responsible for proper management of classroom resources issued for promoting teaching/learning environment i.e. textbooks, teaching aids and desks and others materials.
- Accountable for keeping proper and accurate lists of books issued to students and ensure school authority kept aware of any discrepancies.
- Ensure proper utilization any used equipment used during classroom instruction
- Ensure proper storage and safety of equipment after use by children
5. Promote partnership with local educational Institutions
- Conduct community mobilization and sensitization on significance of primary education.
- Regularly monitor the attendance, scholastic performance and learning needs of the children in the school in close liaison with IRW Kenya program education SMT.
- Initiate close relationship with teachers of local Kenyan primary schools to share approaches for effective teaching in refugee-local schools
- Develop refugee inter-school competition in co- curricular activities as sports, games, drama and music festivals.
- Also train children so as to participate in games and sports.
6. Development of Human Potential in Students
- Prepare high achieving pupils’ for post primary education
- Develop the pupils’ potential abilities to their maximum through a variety of experiences.
- Develop in pupils’ an awareness and appreciation of innovation in the field of education and an ability to utilize them.
- Develop in the pupils’ an awareness of the principles which underline good human relationship and use of these in their dealings with the community.
- Prepare the pupils’ to face life with self-confidence and independence.
- Promote clear logical thought and critical judgment.
- Offer career guidance to pupils’.
- Conduct counseling for pupils’ in need of counseling. Liaise with parents of individual learners for effective delivery of counseling services.
- Work in a team spirit with other teachers to promote understanding of school mission and goals successfully.
- Establish closer relationship with other IRW Kenya program colleagues to establish the a positive image of the IRW Kenya program education sector.
- Take advantage of the available opportunities in education to foster self-development professionally.
- Has full authority on matters pertaining to effective curriculum implementation in assigned classroom tasks and is the point person for primary children in their school.
- Has the mandate on what action should be taken against deviant learners
- Advisor of the head teacher and education community teachers on all matters related to curriculum, teaching and co-curricular activities.
Contacts / Key Relationships
Work closely with other sectors and in collaboration with UNHCR, partner agencies on education issues to promote teaching/learning.
1. The position is in Ifo refugee camp in the North Eastern Province of Kenya.
2. The climate is harsh (semi-arid) and area prone to banditry menace.
3. Teaching will essentially be carried out in refugee schools.
Qualifications / Experience / Competencies
- Education: BEd primary option or P1 teachers certificate
- Experience: Primary teacher for a minimum of two years
- Teaching License : Must have registration certificate from TSC
- Competencies: Outstanding performance in music and sports
How to Apply:
Kindly, visit our website: www.islamicreliefkenya.org.
Send in your updated CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com