Danish Refugee Council Area Manager Job in Dadaab Kenya 2013
North Eastern Province, Kenya
Based in Dadaab
Working under the Country Director (CD), the Area Manager (AM) is responsible for DRCs operations in Kenya’s North Eastern counties (NEP).
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC has been active in Kenya since 2005.
The AM’s core function is to ensure development of programming that is efficient, accountable, need driven and based on best practices.
- Enable an effective team through result oriented management systems, providing leadership, on-job capacity building and designing staff development strategies.
- Provide direct management of senior program, support and security staff; provide overview management for the entire NEP team.
- Ensure programs are developed, implemented and evaluated within clear monitoring systems and against clear people/program/finance planning that meets DRC and donor regulations and humanitarian and HAP principles.
- Provide on-site support through frequent visits to project sites
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for DRC staff, beneficiaries and assets through: operationalizing DRCs security procedures, providing safety and security analysis, recommendations and follow-ups.
- Organize for regular staff training on the use of security systems.
- Ensure compliance to DRC, donor and national policies, rules, regulations and systems in a timely, responsible, documented, accurate & appropriate manner; ensures that support services are cost effective and efficient.
- Ensure a diverse and professional workforce through efficient, effective and transparent recruitment, evaluation and disciplinary processes.
- Ensure procurement is carried-out in a fair, transparent, effective and well documented manner.
- Supervising all financial reporting and financial procedures, including the monthly schedule for financial reporting, donor reporting and audits, cash flow and liquidity management
- Ensure that programs are based on user-identified needs and resources of the targeted population, are well coordinated with other aid actors (including actors in Somalia), address lessons learned (from DRC and other actors) and steered towards ensuring accountability to the people to whom the services/inputs are indented to serve.
- Establishes and maintains open and productive dialogue with the county government, relevant line ministries, community leaders, power brokers and relevant aid agencies, private businesses and donors.
- Attends and contributes to discussions, workshops, working groups and other forums where operations and other issues that may impact operations or the people DRC serves are discussed.
- Advanced university degree in relevant field (relief, development, recovery) with at least 5-years relevant experience; or basic university degree and at least 8-years relevant experience; at least 3-years’ experience managing large-scale multi-sector programming.
- Proven experience in strategic development and program design & writing, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in livelihoods, community development, protection and relief highly desired.
- Practical and extensive financial, HR and administration management experience with extensive knowledge of budget development/management and finance documentation, tracking and archiving; understanding of HR and administration principles and ethics.
- Experience with UNHCR, ECHO, European Aid, and BPRM guidelines will be an added advantage.
- Result-oriented management experience of a large, diverse and dynamic team, and a commitment to good leadership.
- Must have a proven ability to foster teamwork and commitment to on-job training/support.
- Practical and proven skills in negotiation and conflict resolution with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in security and safety management in highly dynamic security environments
- Analytical and problem solving skills and an ability to work independently and as a team needed.
- Proven excellent communication skills and fluency in written and spoken English essential.
- Excellent report writing skills is a must.
- Past experience in East Africa.
- Experience in a refugee setting and knowledge of refugee issues.
Duty Station: Dadaab, Garissa County, Kenya. Non-family duty station.
Contract: 1 year renewable contract. Salary and conditions for expatriates in accordance with the DRC’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates (available at www.drc.dk under Vacancies).
Post-holder must be willing and able to travel/live/work in remote areas with basic facilities and insecurity
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation and qualifications and CV. CVs longer then 4-pages will not be considered.
We only accept applications through our online system at www.drc.dk – Vacancies – “Area Manager – Kenya” in English no later than Monday, 25 November, 2013.